CLIENTS ACHIEVE SUCCESS WITH PMI
Strategic Year Plan Deployment through Hoshin Kanri
One of the largest European trading houses in the world with an annual turnover of 4.6 billion Euros and around 3000 employees.
This trading house had ambitious growth plans for their customers. While they had developed a comprehensive 2020 Strategy for realising these ambitions, they were missing a structured deployment plan.
PMI were approached to work on the deployment of a midterm improvement plan – this was achieved using the Hoshin Kanri process.
What is Hoshin Kanri?
The core of the Hoshin Kanri process involves the translation of a strategic plan into a set of clear objectives. These objectives are then realised through the delivery of tactical actions and projects. It’s value is two-fold:
- The clear and transparent alignment between activity and goals and a structured monitoring process
- The ownership and alignment generated at each level of the organisation. When this happens everyone feels part of the process, understands their role within it and are aligned to the organisation’s goals.
PMI used the Hoshin Kanri process to plan and facilitate a range of workshops for the senior team, functional leads and operational staﬀ to translate the Strategic Plan into objectives and project identification and rationalisation.
PMI recommended the setting up of a Program M anagement Oﬃce (PMO) to manage and control data ﬂows within the process, monitor project progress and revise theories (PDSA).
The organisation now have an eﬀective and structured approach for deploying and cascading their strategic plan, a PMO and a priortised improvement mid-term year plan
The organisation now has:
- A resource management and governance process, including a PMO, to monitor progress and revise theories
- An effective and structured approach for deploying and cascading their strategic plan year on year
- A project identiﬁcation process
- A resource planning process
- A lessons learned review document to support the implementation of future year plans.